Saturday 22 April 2017

Quick spinach & chorizo soup

Spinach & chorizo soup

I know I said I was bored of soups but this was the only way I could use up some spinach and pasta quickly.  I had thought of a vegetable lasagna but this did me well for another workday lunch and supper.

So I haven't been feeling too well and have been a little run down, so I thought, a bit of vitamin B and Iron is what I need.  And of course, you think iron, you think spinach!

I had planned  to make a lasagna as I said, but I had some old elbow macaroni to use up and fancied a soup.  The addition of a little chorizo was, if I may say so, inspired.

Ingredients (for 2)

about 400g-500g spinach (or 2 small bags like I used)
1 chorizo, skinned and sliced finely.
1 small slug of orange juice*
1 small handful of random pasta shapes (cooked)
1 pot of boiling water
1 stock cube (I used chicken)

salt (but not too much) and pepper to taste
2 tbsps (approx) fresh cream to finish

Method

 Couldn't be easier.

  • Boil the water and add the stock in a pot.  Stir.
  • Drop the chopped chorizo in. 
  • Wash the spinach and pop it into the pot.  By the way, did you know if you are cooking fresh spinach, you only really need to rinse it and drop the damp leaves into a hot pan until it wilts?  Now you do.
  • Turn the heat down and blend
  • Allow to cool and serve with a little cream

Tastes as good cold as it does warm. 

* The orange juice helps release the iron from the spinach.

Pictures to follow, was just keen to get back posting.  Easter and spring recipes to follow, as well as those other recipes I said I'd try.

No comments:

Post a Comment